Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dotzauer #3

Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvfahXeM3_g
Grade: D
Specific Comments: Bow distribution/speed/pressure was considered, but not achieved. Would benefit from slow practice, as well as more bow work. Dynamics were sometimes present. Only 1 attempt was necessary to record. Tempo is still on the slower side of Allegro.

This was a very different experience from the last one. To start with, this etude is a lot shorter and a lot more redundant & a lot more scalar (as opposed to 3rds and 6ths) - what a relief! I didn't quite get to spend as much time with it as I would have liked unfortunately. I definitely benefited from #2 though, because the LH part was easily within my grasp from the very beginning. This had some good consequences (namely that I was able to work with within larger groups/sections and that I wasn't as stressed), but also some bad consequences (I really didn't do much slow work, which I think could have benefited both of my hands).

I also approached this one a bit differently than #2 by working backwards in larger phrases and by relying on the music more (as opposed to trying to play from memory right away). I found this to be beneficial, because it meant that there was less room for error in the initial learning process. I also found that looking at the music helped me be more considerate of the dynamics, which I failed to memorize (and in general, fail to pay attention to - it's a huge flaw in my playing, but this etude got me to start considering it a bit more) ... I still think it's really important to perform from memory, but I think it will generally be worth it to work with the music more in the future. I also think in general when working on music, I could benefit from being more analytical (though there obviously has to be a balance between analysis and physical performance, since playing cello is ultimately about the latter).

Generally, I feel good about the progress I'm making & am really looking forward to #4. I'm going to try to put more time into cello in general so I can put more time into this...


Rubric:
F - Failed to memorize notes and bowings within one week.
D - Notes and bowings are memorized, and piece is performed completely through without any stops or wrong notes (multiple attempts are acceptable).
C - Notes and bowings are memorized, and piece is performed completely through without any stops or wrong notes (multiple attempts are acceptable). Correct Bow Distribution is present.
B - Notes and bowings are memorized, and piece is performed completely through without any stops or wrong notes (multiple attempts are acceptable). Correct Bow Distribution and Articulation & Dynamics are present.
A - Notes and bowings are memorized, and piece is performed completely through without any stops or wrong notes on First Try. Correct Bow Distribution and Articulation & Dynamics are present.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Hello! I hope you don't mind me randomly stalking your blog. I saw your post on the internet cello society forums and I really love your blog. You are the sort of cellist I wish I could be. I am really interested to see how your Dotzauer Challenge progresses.

I really struggle to memorize anything on the cello. Do you do other practice through the week, or are you dedicating most of your playing to the etudes?

Mike Lunapiena said...

Claudia - I'm very excited that you decided to come post on my blog and tell me that I inspired you!

The whole point of my blog is connecting with people & sharing my experiences (and theirs') ... if you'd like, please check out my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mlunapiena01

Right now, I am spending most of my time writing music for my upcoming solo album ... I have 8 songs demo-recorded right now (40 minutes) ... beyond that, most of my cello time has gone into the Dotzauer Etudes, though now I'm adding in time for a concert I'll be playing in February. I'm also trying to work on improving my piano/keyboard skills too.

In general, I make it a point to do at least a few technical exercises on any given day, and I am constantly learning from music and videos that I listen to/watch.

You can find a lot of different strategies for memorization online ... but basically, the idea is take small chunks & do them over and over and over until you've done them so much that you could do them in your sleep ... I'll try to write up a post about memorizing in the near future...

Thanks for stopping by!