Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How to Fit Myself Into A Box

I hate the Bio/Resume that I have right now ... I feel like it doesn't represent me/the me I want to be... but I also don't know how to write Me ... I'm messy and confusing... and I don't really fit into the traditional or non-traditional box...

I/I'm:
Classically Trained (but much less than classical people)
Play in Community Orchestras (but not a lot)
Have done a crapton of musical theatre
Improvise & write music like a songwriter
Play in the Subways
Play in as many as 4 or 5 rock bands that are somewhat successful that most people have never heard of & are not a part of any mainstream music genres
Have little to no interest in being more "in the box" or going to grad school or taking lessons, because I want to make my own path creating music that I really love that is deeply meaningful to me.
Play a live set that involves half covers & half original music
Do everything from playing weddings to pits to religious services to rock bands to (very occasional) classical gigs to recording sessions
I started cello at age 16 (but does that matter?)
I write cool music in GarageBand on keyboard & sort of just have no clue what to do with it...

I guess really what I'm torn between is I want to represent myself as the Cellist/Songwriter, but most of my work is in the teaching & freelance musician world & I feel like it's talking to two different sets of people with completely different interests ... It's another stupid tug of war inside...

This post has given me some ideas...

Edit: I've now got a different bio up .. I don't think it's done yet ... I realized part of the problem is that I'm trying to serve 2 different masters with this bio ... I need a Me bio & a teaching bio & a resume ... 1 down, 2 to go...

2 comments:

The Sensible Flutist said...

Keep creating your own path! I think the challenge in a bio/resume is to figure out how to make a good impression on someone, anyone regardless of what "side" they appear to be on. Ignore the argument and craft something that truthfully and creatively states who you are and what you've done/are doing.

Writing these things out is always one of the best things you can do. Good luck!

Mike Lunapiena said...

Hey, just saw your post ...

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I'm thinking the solution is if I'm going to continue to do classical work, I need to have a separate bio just for that, which makes me sound all boring & accomplished or w/e

I don't think I want to keep doing classical work though ... so it's time for me to find a job so I can just concentrate on doing the things that are creatively meaningful to me.

Classical is beautiful & helpful, but I think it is not my destiny.

As a "rock" person it's easy to just be like "Classically trained" & then move on to things that are actually important about me...