Saturday, June 30, 2007

Making the Cello Interesting Again...

Ok,

So lately I've been a bit more into my keyboard than my cello... this seems to happen every summer... I think I may have found the remedy for it.. pedals...

I hadn't really been messing around with pedals anytime recently because I don't actually have enough cables for it (I have 1, I need 3)... so anyway, I usually don't like to ask my brother to borrow cables b/c it becomes a hastle... but I did... and now that I'm over the "OMG I can hook the cello up to pedals" phase, I'm starting to actually try to create and/or mimic sounds ...

and holy shit! everything became so much more exciting... I'm a bit limited by what I have (chorus and distortion pedal), but once I get on my feet again money-wise, I'm going to pick up a multi-effects processor (and of course extra cables!) ... can't wait

Not only does playing it electrified make it so much easier to play, but I can get all these really cool effects by bowing "incorrectly" ... it adds a whole new dimension to bow technique that's really exciting, where pressure and speed and proximity to the bridge start to matter even more)...

Anyway, the highlight of that for me was getting this very analog, moog-synthesizer type of sound off of the chorus pedal (think Pink Floyd...)

so cool...

No comments: