Saturday, August 8, 2009

Summit 8/8

Sometimes you just need a break ...

and so I took one ... yesterday, after the concert I didn't practice & hung out w/ Alma instead ... it was incredibly relaxing/a much needed break. We talked about a ton of different things, including practicing & our conversation made me think of Jordan Rudess (because she was talking about the warmups she does & that they're partially intended to develop finger strength/independence & how much of a difference it's made in her playing), which made me think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZhiYff7nM - some amazing music!!

Today I didn't practice quite as much as I ought to have (only 3 hrs. instead of 5) ... so I'm gonna have to make up for it tomorrow & do 6, because I *really* need to shed both my orchestra pieces and my chamber stuff ...

What I did do however, was come up with a 3 hour technical routine that I'm planning on starting very soon & on doing every day once I get out of Summit ... unfortunately, I also left it in the car & so I can't write about it now (I can't wait till I have internet at home again!)

Otherwise, I went w/ Eric into White Plains & then picked up Michael Klotz - the viola teacher. I managed to watch part of Berlinsky's masterclass & part of Michael's ... missed Bong-Shin Ko's, which was unfortunate, because I would have really liked to have heard some of the pieces ... I'm sure I'll get to at Matt Haimovitz's classes though (he's doing two this year!!!)

I thankfully didn't have chamber today (I needed a break from it) & missed most of the 6 pm concert ... I did watch the 8PM though (which was originally supposed to be Aaron Rosand, but became a Student Gala instead!) ... There was a really amazing performance of Ravel's Tzigane on it (what a freakin' cool piece!) .. also, Elliot Mallard played Elgar mov. 1, and though we have an incredibly different idea of the piece, it's great to watch the way he plays ...

Speaking of cool performances, last night's performance by Dmitry Berlinsky was absolutely incredible ... it's been the first concert that really 100% grabbed me ... and you could really feel the energy in the room ... can't wait for Matt Haimovitz

After the concert, I watched Rita, Maria & Alma try the piano that they're going to play the concerto competition on (I really hope I can have a whole concerto together by next year ... I doubt it though ... I absolutely will have the first movement of the Elgar together in really amazing shape though ... that's a promise to myself ... I want to perform that and make some amazing music out of it) ... that was a nice treat ...


I got a very interesting point out of talking w/ Eric earlier ... he mentioned that when he performs he looks at something else, but thinks about what he needs to do on cello in his head & so I tried out doing that (because I'm trying to fix my problem where I keep looking down at my cello) & it was so incredibly helpful ...

My lesson w/ David went well yesterday ... I played for Jeff Solow's masterclass the day before (not well) & so we talked about some of what Jeff brought up, and some postural/set up issues (which I think I'm getting the hang of, but really want to ask him about again in our last lesson. This way, I'll be able to work on them on my own a little bit).

I also ended up talking w/ Jeff for about an hour or so after the concert this night ... it was great ... I haven't done enough of that this year ... I think If I do Summit next year, I'm going to go to less of the concerts or masterclasses, because I still need to practice more, but I also need time to be a human being & I realized that there's only so much one can actually get from listening to masterclasses.

I'm tired of the pressure of all the different musical things I have to do ... I kinda just want a break, so it will be nice when summit will be over, because instead of trying to split my practicing between too many things I can concentrate on doing a few things really solidly


I am also 100% planning on asking Mr. O to take regular lessons with him ... I've been wanting to for so long & lately I'm feeling more and more lost with cello and how to practice and what to do & just so overwhelmed and general, and I feel like he'd be the right teacher to really solve that. There's a certain instinct in his teaching & playing that I just so naturally trust & that seems to work, and having started the instrument under him, he has a really good understanding of my background & me as a person & I think we work well together.

Working on Bach has been really frustrating on a very good way (I'm really finding all my flaws) ... I wish I had time to write more in general ... lots of stuff I'd like to write about ... I need to get home and go to sleep now...

3 comments:

Peter M said...

Hi again, you actually got to meet Matt Haimovitz? That's awesome! I think he came to my area once but I couldn't go because I was working overtime that day.
I've never met Jeff Solow in person but I have heard a lot about him. He is currently president of the ASTA, right? Do you think he will be at Summit next year? I heard that this year he got into a bit of trouble. A few days ago some girl came to watch his concert/masterclass. She had been missing so her parents filed a missing persons report and the cops were able to trace her to Jeff. I heard through the grapevine that the cops searched Jeff's room at 3 AM, just to make sure she wasn't there. The poor guy now has to deal with rumors that he might be having a relationship with this student. I hope it doesn't keep him from doing Summit next year. He sounds like a great teacher; I would hate to see his career suffer just because of a few rumors.

Mike Lunapiena said...

I met him last year as well ... didn't get a chance to talk to him much this year (because I was really exhausted after his concert & he had to leave for the airport today)... I did mean to ask him if he ever checked out the Cellist of Sarajevo ...

He's an incredibly cool guy though ... very philosohpical, but focused & very easy-going & very curious.

He is president of ASTA & of the Violoncello Society of NY. I think.

The story is mostly true, though I would remove the phrase "got into trouble", since as far as I know, he is not in any. I don't know how "girl didn't tell her parents where she was going" translates to "having a relationship" ... Anyway, given that you used the word rumors, I really don't want to give that situation any more attention, because that's exactly what will emerge if I do.

I don't know if he's coming back to Summit next year, but I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.

Anyway, I've got to go practice now ... chamber & orchestra concerts tomorrow!

Peter M said...

You're mostly right. There is a big leap between "missing person report" and "having a relationship." But this wasn't the first time she met him. I had a friend tell me that the aforementioned girl met Jeff a long time ago and had been stalking him. She would always try to be around him and it seemed like she had an obsession problem. If two of them were spending lots of time together, I could see how people might get ideas about what's going on between them. Anyway, I mentioned the story because it just seemed so strange. I first heard Mr. Solow's name years ago and I own some of his recordings. He seems like an outstanding musician. I never expected him to be in this kind of situation.

Well it's getting late and I have to go to bed now. I hope to get at least 3 hours of practice tomorrow.