Sunday, February 13, 2011

Inertia regarding Dotzauer

So, for almost a year I have struggled with a cellistic goal ...

The Dotzauer Etude vids. I posted have received an unbelievable (from my perspective) amount of attention ... I really don't know what to make of it ... but obviously there's some power to them ... I stopped after problems with tendinitis & then after my father died ...

I think I'd like to restart them ... but it's so hard to go backwards ... I need to find a way to go forwards to them & incorporate them into my busy life and studies ...

Also, I think there's value in me making vids. of Bach ... I've had some people comment that my vid. of the Bach 2 prelude has helped them in some way ... My playing in the vid. really isn't even that developed (technically or musically) ... I'm worlds better now ... If I was able to affect people from a vid. that poorly recorded, I know I can do so much more if I make them now ...

Food for thought ... but I also think it's the beginning of a plan ...

I need to build a career and this may be one way to help myself do so ...

So I think goals for the next week:

1. Record a demo cd
2. Record the Bach 2 Allemande vid.
3. Pull out the Dotzauer Etudes again ...

Part of the problem is that initially I was doing this 1-2 weeks thing ... I wonder if that's what attracted people or if it's just that it was a vid. of the Dotzauer Etude ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dotzauer etudes were the first ones I studied. I'm in book 2 now. I think my interest in the vids you were doing was to hear them as music played by someone more advanced than I. When you're a beginner like I am, you get so bogged down in the details of them that you forget to pull back and hear them as pieces of music. I needed an example of what the thing was supposed to sound like in the end. Obviously, my teacher played them for me, but it's always good to hear different people's versions.