Monday, March 28, 2011

Ghosts of Greyhame - My first solo album

Life has been a complete whirlwind lately. I've been living in Queens for 2 months now & have been busy every second of it, which has been absolutely amazing ... I wish I had the time and energy to write about all of the amazing things I've gotten to do and see and be involved in ...

I'm going to have even less time pretty soon ...

The stars have finally aligned and I have solid plans to get into the recording studio in mid-June to record my solo album ... the album that I wrote a year and a half ago and have been telling people about ever since!

In order to do this, I am funding the album through Kickstarter, which is amazing, but scary at the same time. For anyone not familiar with Kickstarter, it's a crowd-sourcing/fundraising site that works on an all or nothing model. So I have to raise my total amount or I don't get a penny ...

Talk about incentive!!

I wrote once or twice in this blog about my solo album, but never went into much detail about it ...

"Ghosts of Greyhame" is a concept/story album that fuses most of my different musical influences ... heavy metal, rock, classical, film music, folk music, improvisation, etc & puts them together in a way that tells a story through music ... It's almost exclusively layered/solo cello & even involves some electric cello (and who knows what else by the end) ... it's my way of making a movie or writing a novel through music... I want to go into the concept a bit more, but I think that's going to take another blog post...

It's going to take a huge push to get the album funded (sometime in the future, I'm going to write up a post about the financial side of making an album as a solo artist ... it is not a pretty picture! I think I eventually need to make a book or a class "Things they don't tell you in Music School") ... but this is easily the biggest thing in my creative life and career (or at least I think it will be) ...

As Mr. Lundie says in Brigadoon: "It's the hardest thing in the world to give everything; even though it's usually the only way to get everything"

So over the next two months, on top of the extra cello work/gigs that I've got, I'll be pouring energy in every second to re-familiarizing myself with/perfecting all of these parts, and to telling everybody about this project. I need to make this album a reality & I want to share it with as many people as possible.

I'm going to put together a small CD release tour once the album's done, and I've already got plans for a second album, but those things can't happen without this CD ...

It's my first Do or Die moment ... I plan to Live...

(My next blog post in this series will talk about some of my specific influences)

By the way, Here's that Kickstarter Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/764802108/ghosts-of-greyhame-a-debut-recording-by-mike-lunap

Please consider a donation (or if you don't have money, clicking the "Like" button helps tremendously!!)

No comments: