Monday, August 18, 2008

The Power of Video

So,

Practicing Elgar, I decided to record myself, b/c I was getting frustrated that I couldn't seem to figure out what to do ... I noticed 2 things (that somehow I don't notice while watching in the mirror:

1. I have the same elbow problem w/ my bow arm
2. I'm still killing the sound at the end of down bows...

what does this mean, I'm not paying attention properly or listening well enough ... I have a strong concept of what I want this to be, but I need to hear what I'm actually doing...

I worry about using recording technology - will it prevent or enhance my ability to listen well ... I think it will enhance it (I hope), but it almost feels like cheating ... Jackie didn't have it when she was developing her technique ...

I think that's always going to be my standard - is it as good as Jackie ... so far, the answer is not even close...

1 comment:

CelloGirl said...

I've been wanting to record myself as well because a mirror can only go so far. I'm too busy playing! What did you use? I was going to try my webcam but it's pretty low tech.