Sunday, August 3, 2008

Summit Day 8

Another exceptional day ...

Only got in 2 hrs. of practice, b/c I was helping out all day ... started the thumb position exercises - oh my gods, everything is better already ... challenging, but amazing exercises ...

Helping out= 12-5 - well, really all day, but mostly 12-5

Orientation was neat & packed! Also, hot, b/c the A/C died ...

I have a light crew now:

Me - Manager
Andy - Manager
Tim - Assistant
Brian - Assistant

We divied up the concerts...

Also, I discovered that not only am I in both Orchestras, but I am in both orchestras for both weeks - incredibly exciting, and makes up for the lack of doing chamber music w/ new people ...

It also means that every day is Orchestra 9-1 .

Also, I'm going to play Elgar for the Emmanuel Gruber Masterclass on Tuesday ... so far I'm the only person signed up ... I really need to find time to practice ... it's going to be really hard ... I'm going over it w/ David in my lesson tomorrow ... I need to go to sleep now so that I'll be some kind of awake tomorrow...

Edit: Concert was amazing - was alumni ... in particular, the Pianist - Michael had the most relaxed and flowing piano technique I've ever seen...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mike,

this is from allen the clarinet player. too bad we never got to play anything. i dropped out of the festival because they couldnt find enough for me to do. it really is a great festival for young string players not old wind players.

sounds like it is working out grear for you. they are keeping you busy and you are getting to do a lot of playing.

interesting to hear about your light board experiences. in my earlier real life i was a sound engineer for live performances for big time rock and roll acts. i think you would have really gotten a kick out of the van halen lighting experience. the designer was a friend of mine and we used him to design the lights for hall& oates when i was one of their managers.

Mike Lunapiena said...

Sorry to hear you dropped out & yeah, it's too bad we didn't get to playing stuff ... everything's just been so busy for me, I haven't had a chance to think about reading through any of the stuff...

I'm surprised they didn't create another chamber group for you or something ... if you want, I can mail you a copy of the various cello/clarinet duets I've got, maybe you'll come across a cellist to play them with ... or maybe we could even get together to read some stuff sometimes (I forget where you're based...)

speaking of lights ... they moved the concert earlier tonight to the little theater & we had about 20 min. to figure out how to do anything with the lights ... it's like a new adventure every night ...

as for Van Halen ... that must have been all kinds of interesting ... sound/light stuff is quite fun ...

What did you think of Julian Milkis as a teacher?

I don't think I've got your contact info ... do you have a facebook or myspace??

Talk to you soon.

-Mike