Monday, July 28, 2008

Summit Day 2 - Lessons & Limitations

So today consisted of:

2.5 hrs of practice
Learning the lightboard
Lesson with David Krieger
Lunch
Nathaniel Rosen Masterclass
11 hr of practice

It will also have a concert ... I'll add that later...

In my lesson, we talked about what I had/hadn't done & about the need for a fundamental technique/foundation ... which is perfect, because this is exactly what I'm seeking ... We went over a new way of doing scales... First, he wants me to use the more traditional Scale fingerings, plus he showed me a new way of doing them ... but the basic gyst is 2/4/6/8/12/24 notes to a bow ... all within the context of 2 beat measures ...

We also talked about bowing itself and particularly about the "X" motion (which goes along w/ the concept of the upside down U bowing motion). We also talked about not raising the elbow, which is my big problem on the A string (well, all the others too!)

I'm going to play Bach 2nd suite for him & he's going to give me double stop/position exercises!


The Rosen Masterclass went well, though I could have been in better shape with the piece ...

I played Elgar mov. 1 & learned the following:
-For the opening double stops use a small portion of the bow, then change for the chord, then slow the speed so you can surge
-Use familiar areas for fingerings (I'm not sure I want to do this, but I'll give it a try ... he suggested a new fingering for the Upward run, based on shifting at harmonics ...
We also talked about releasing the 3rd & 4th finger on the bow at times ... particularly for that run...
-He also said I was over-using slides & this was "slowing" down the piece ... he showed me how to lift the bow to allow for clean shifts & the sound I want, and said i need to choose when we hear the shift

David Krieger told me afterwards that I played well, but that we should have had at least 2 lessons before I played that for a masterclass ... I told him that I agreed ... I really want to sign up to play the 2nd Bach Suite for the thursday masterclass, but I'm afraid it won't be ready.... time to go play it & see ... and then I'll see if I can play it for Krieger tomorrow...
That's all I can remember for now...

The concert was amazing!! I don't want to write more about it now, b/c I'm exhausted ... the light board on the other hand really is a pain in the ass ... but I think I've gotten the hang of it!

I need to practice ... severely

No comments: